What is tube feeding and the different types of feeding tube
Types of tube feeding: Enteral feeding or Parenteral feeding
- Parenteral nutrition is nutrition delivered directly into a vein.
- Enteral feeding is food delivered directly into the stomach or small intestine.
Enteral feeding and using a feeding tube
Someone may tube feed this way temporarily - such as when being treated for acute conditions, or for their entire life - such as having a chronic disability.
The food is delivered in liquid form. Liquid feeds suitable for enteral feeding contain all the nutrients required to sustain a healthy body, though each person may require different nutritional amounts.
Different types of feeding tubes
There are a number of different feeding tube types. Feeding tubes can go through the abdomen via a small opening called a stoma, or down through the nose.
- A feeding tube that includes the letter G n its title (PEG, NG, RIG) provide food or nutrition directly to the stomach.
- A feeding tube that includes the letter J in its title (JEJ, PEG-J, NJ) provide food or nutrition directly to the jejunum, the middle section of the small intestine
Gastrostomy tubes, gastric feeding tubes, G-Tubes
A g-tube is inserted through the abdomen into the stomach.
- Types of G-tube include PEG-tubes (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) and RIG-tubes (radiologically inserted gastrostomy).
Jejunostomy tubes, J-tubes, JEJ-tubes, PEG-J tubes
A jejunostomy tube is inserted through the abdomen into part of the small intestine.
- Types of Jejunostomy tubes include JEJ-tubes (surgical jejunostomy) and PEG-J tubes (jejunal extension of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy).
Nasogastric feeding tube, NG-tubes
A nasogastric tube carries nutrition to the stomach through the nose.
Nasojejunal feeding tube, NJ-tubes
A nasojejunal tube carries nutrition past the stomach and into the small bowel intestine.
At TubieeGo, we mainly sell feeding tube backpacks, bags and accessories for adults and children that require enteral nutrition. However, we are more than happy to provide any advice or service where we can for all types of tube feed.
If you have any questions about the products we sell, bags or accessories that would be suitable for your feed type, or anything else we can help with - please Contact Us.